When Outdoors – How can I avoid getting a tick bite?
- Stay in the middle of the trail
- Use insect repellent on uncovered skin and over clothes
- Wear light colored clothes to spot ticks more easily
After coming inside – Act fast to tackle ticks
- Do a full body check after coming indoors
- Use tweezers to remove any ticks
- Take a shower
- Put your clothes in the dryer for 10 minutes on high heat to kill any ticks that may be attached
More Prevention Tips
- Avoid tick-heavy areas such as tall bushes, vegetation, high grass and leaf litter.
- Perform daily tick checks, even if you were only in your yard.
- Wear long sleeves and long pants, with pant cuffs tucked into high socks, to further protect against tick bites.
- Try to prevent ticks on animals by not allowing them in tick-infested areas and using appropriate tick prevention treatments prescribed by a veterinarian.